The Power of Outdoor Learning
We are very fortunate at Freshwater Christian College to be surrounded by lush tropical rainforest. This beautiful ecosystem has provided our students with a great opportunity to engage in outdoor learning.
Recently, our Grade Three students have been continuing to engage in various outdoor learning experiences. Each week they journey to our creek, these sessions have helped students to explore the world around them, build on their creativity, and consolidate numeracy and literacy skills.
Each week Grade Three students receive a ‘challenge’ and need to work in pairs or small groups to problem solve, communicate, and work collaboratively to achieve a goal. This week students took their understanding of analog clocks to construct their own clocks using natural resources and practiced telling time to the minute. As well as engage in these learning experiences, students are given the opportunity to play. This is an important component of our outdoor learning experiences as we know that play and learning are closely linked.
Children learn as they play. Most importantly, in play, children learn how to learn.
High-quality outdoor learning experiences are proven to:
- Develop reflective and inquisitive thinking along with problem-solving approaches in ‘real’ situations
- Encourage holistic development of children
- Develop resilience and adaptability in occasionally adverse circumstances
- Allow children to become more able to identify hazards and risks
- Develop a love, appreciation, and respect for nature and all that is living
- Develop an understanding of how we can look after our environment
- Develop self-awareness, confidence, and self-esteem
- Develop collaborative-working and communication skills
- Provide positive health benefits – both physically and mentally – and assist gross and fine-motor development
- Develop a lifelong love of the outdoors
Interested in finding out more about our innovative outdoor learning programs?
Join us for a Principal’s Tour to learn more or contact our Enrolments Officer.