In this edition, we continue our deep dive into the meaning and significance of the College Virtues at our Christian school, today we look at Courage and Humility.
Courage is not the absence of fear, indeed in one sense fear ‘sits’ alongside courage, as we cannot exercise courage without the presence of fear. Courage acts like a bridge, empowering us to overcome or move through our fears.
How can we consistently live our lives with courage? The Bible states that “there is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear…” (1 John 4:18). When fear comes into our lives, which it inevitably will, we can draw courageously, in faith, on the most powerful force in the Universe, God’s love, to drive away fear. Training our students to understand and receive the love of God through prayer, worship and reflecting on God’s truth, helps them to build spiritual resilience and live their lives confidently, courageously dealing with fear when it comes.
In his brilliant book, ‘Humilitas’, Dr John Dickson defines humility as “the noble choice to forgo your own status and use your influence for the good of others”. Dr Dickson outlines five benefits of humility:
- Humility is common sense: What we don’t know and can’t do, far exceeds what we know and can do.
- Humility is beautiful. We are more attracted to people who are humble.
- Humility is generative. The humble person, who is looking to learn, will always come away with more than the proud person who knows it all.
- Humility is persuasive. We believe good-hearted people to a greater extent and more quickly than we do others on all subjects in general.
- Humility is inspiring. The real power of effective leadership is maximising other people’s potential, which inevitably demands ensuring they get the credit. This involves humbly laying our egos aside.
Based on the above, it makes perfect sense to encourage and actively train our students to remain humble and grounded, in order that they can derive the significant benefits, both to themselves, and to the wider community, that come from life lived in humility.
Mr Doug Holtam
Want to visit our Christian school in Cairns?
Book a College Tour with our Principal to explore our lush tropical Campus and find out more about our primary school. Book Now